Monday, January 10, 2011

paidContent:UK: Penguin's Upcoming iPad books


The ipad has been around for what seems like a while now, but I was never really interested, even though as both an avid reader and an environmentalist I suppose I really ought to consider it as it might support my book reading habit in a more eco-friendly manner. But now that Penguin books is supporting the ipad, and publishing some of their books on it, I am starting to consider it. Much of the literature that I read is classic literature, just the kind of thing that is most visibly supported by Penguin Books. I know them best for two things; publishing old classics and publishing new bestsellers. Granted, not everything that Penguin Books publishes rises to the top of the New York times bestsellers list, but it seems like an awful lot does.
The only downside to me to using an ipad is that it is so technological, and I am one of the old fashioned types that loves the feel and the smell and the aesthetic visual of a book in my hands. An ipad or Nook or Kindle or anything else just wouldn't be the same. Granted, in the long run it might be better for the earth, but I like Penguin Books actual books, paper and binding and jacket and all (although, to be honest, I certainly don't mind a Penguin books paperback either).
Of course, for a while now I have defended my right to read actual books by purchasing them at thrift stores, used book stores, and other purveyors of used goods. And so far it's worked to keep my habit guilt-free in my mind. Not to mention keeping my pocketbook guilt-free (no small feat for a woman of my means and budget). But I'm starting to wonder if perhaps some time in the future I ought to at least experiment with enjoying Penguin books on a lit screen instead of a worn yellowed page. Who knows if and when that future will ever exist, but I am holding it out as a possibility.
In the meantime I have several other venues; thrift stores, friends, libraries, used book stores, and paperbackswap (it's fabulous, check it out). And if you are like me, struggling to be a read-a-holic and an earth-o-holic, while still enjoying the fabulous works that Penguin Books have to offer, maybe one of these solutions is for you. Or maybe I just like to hear myself talk (or see myself write?).

No comments:

Post a Comment