Monday, January 10, 2011

The Future of Publishing - created by DK (UK)


This is one of the coolest youtube videos that I've seen in a while, published by Penguin Books and created by DK. Wow. I have to say, I absolutely love books, love to read, and Penguin Books publish some truly great ones. Not only does Penguin Books republish some good old classics like Jane Austen, Bronte, Dickens, Dumas, Carroll, and many others, but they are still publishing books like Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love and Gilbert's sequel, Committed. Penguin Books is probably one of the greatest publishing groups right now, though I don't know tons about publishing houses.
I grew up reading penguin books classics, and DK educational books, so I can really appreciate what they have done and are doing for America, and especially to help the youth of America learn to appreciate the value of learning and reading. I know I learned that, and that is probably one of the most important things I learned in school (of course, it helped that I was home schooled and had a lot more time for reading than many of my public schooled counterparts; I got to learn at my pace, which was much faster, and so I got to read a lot too).
Even still, I love to read Penguin Books. I read the Mitford series, by Jan Karon, I love Elizabeth Gilbert (as previously stated) and I passionately love to read classic literature, something that I fear is dying in America. Sometimes I wish I hand enough money to single-handedly support the continuing publication of classics, but that is kind of a silly thing to imagine even. Of course, imagination is one thing that well-read and well-educated children tend to have plenty of. I'm not referring to snobs that go to private schools. I'm thinking more of kids who grow up voraciously reading every one of the penguin books they can get out from the library. I'm talking about kids who would rather go to the library than the mall. I'm talking about people who plan more on how to decorate their library than what they will wear to prom (okay, not all of these apply, but you get my drift).
I hope that companies like Penguin Books continue for many generations to come, continuing to share with us the great writers of the past and the present. Literature, art, music, these are important both to individual and societal advancement. I hope that we can raise a generation to appreciate this. I hope that Penguin books can help us do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment